Voices of Partition
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania - December 17, 2016
Doors at 1:30pm
Begins at 2:00pm
Mr. Victor Gill
Dr. Surdendra Gambhir
Dr. Om Gandhi
Dr. Amber Abbas, St. Joseph's University
Dr. Shreeyash Palshikar, Albright College
Reserve tickets now
Story Scholars Program
Deadline to apply: January 15, 2017
2017 Marks the 70th anniversary of Partition. There is a great urgency to record stories now. Join this final effort to preserve the last of our memories.
Portal: Hindustan Times & Dawn.com
An interactive project exploring stories from 1947
Hindustan Times and Dawn.com collaborate with The 1947 Partition Archive in bringing you an educational and exploratory portal showcasing stories, maps and commentary related to Partition.
See it on Dawn.com
See it on HindustanTimes.com
- The New York Times | Potent Memories from a Divided India
August 14, 2013, New York
- NBC News | One Woman's Quest to Record the History of the 1947 Partition of India
May 4, 2016, New York
- Dawn.com (Associated Press) | Murder, rape and shattered families: 1947 Partition Archive under way
March 13, 2015, Lahore
- Huffington Post | Recording History: The 1947 Partition Archive
August 18, 2014, New York
- The Atlantic | The Fading Memory of South Asia's Partition
August 15, 2014, New York
- The Wall Street Journal | Oral history project races to record voices of Partition survivors in India and Pakistan
August 12, 2014, Delhi
- The Hindu | U.S. group preserves memories of Partition
March 8, 2014, Delhi
- The News International | Archiving memories of a shared, Partitioned past
October 30, 2013, Karachi
- The Hindustan Times | A file in time...
October 21, 2013, Chandigarh
Watch: What we do
Watch on New York Times:
Watch on YouTube:
The 1947 Partition Archive, "The Archive" has been preserving oral histories of Partition witnesses since 2010. Over 3000 stories have been preserved on digital video from 320 cities in 12 countries across the world. A tiny staff of four supported by twelve interns work tirelessly behind the scenes to support the 40 Story Scholars who are contributing oral histories, and over 500 Citizen Historian volunteers who have devoted an estimated 30,000 hours in volunteer labor towards recording stories. The Archive is truly a labor of love, built for people, by people from diverse backgrounds. You too can join us. Learn how to record and share a story from your community now! Or support another story through your donation.
Featured Interview Clips
Video: Ali Shan migrated from East to West Punjab (full interview coming soon)
Video: Kazi Shamsuzzaman migrated from West to East Bengal (full interview coming soon).
Video: Ajit Cour migrated from West to East Punjab (full interview coming soon).